Sunday, November 12, 2006

Le Sport



















Ugh, what a cheesy picture....

These guys have New Order written all over them. Layered with '80s house beats and comical lyrics, this is the latest Swedish group to catch my attention. The synth-laden songs leave behind very catchy breaks at times ('I Do Renounce Them', 'Your Brother Is My Only Hope'). Judging by the artists they've mentioned on their Myspace (Human League, Heaven 17, Yazoo, etc.) the ends result isn't surprising. Sexual ambiguity is present, but later homosexuality seems to be a big theme - playing with the '80s house trend perhaps, first with the album art (pictured above) and a few of the song titles ('Show Me Your Penis, 'If Niall Tennant Was My Love').

Sadly, the new-wave revival has been cut short - the group disbanded a few weeks ago.

Le Sport - I Do Renounce Them [mp3] [buy]
Le Sport - Your Brother Is My Only Hope [mp3]

No comments: